If you run out of time, replace our homemade tomato sauce with a commercial tomato sauce!
- 15 ml (1 tbs) oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) mushrooms
- 240g crumbled tempeh
- 10 ml (2 tsp) tamari sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped spinach
- 240g of long pasta of your choice
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into slices
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 30 ml (2 tbs) tomato paste
- 10 ml (2 tsp) chili powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sambal oelek (for spicy version)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grated cheese or Daya (for a vegan version)
1. In a saucepan filled with boiling water, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, then set aside.
2. In a saucepan filled with boiling water, cook carrots for about 10 minutes or until tender.
3. In a skillet, grill the garlic and onion in oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the tempeh, tamari sauce, spinach, salt and pepper to the pan and continue cooking over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
5. For the sauce, place the cooked carrots, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, dried basil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and sambal oelek (if desired) in a blender and mix for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is well blended.
6. Combine pasta, topping and sauce in a bowl, then spread cheese on top.
Nutritional Value (per portion)
Energy : 420 kcals
Proteins : 25 g
Carbohydrates : 49 g
Total fat : 12 g
Sodium : 273 mg
Fibers : 11 g