- 125 mL (½ cup) hulled millet
- 310 mL (1 ¼ cups) water
- 750 mL (3 cups) kale, finely chopped without stem
- 250 mL (1 cup) canned brown lentils, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 125 mL (½ cup) light feta cheese, crumbled
- 500 mL (2 cups) strawberries, diced
- 60 mL (¼ cup) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 125 mL (½ cup) fresh basil, chopped
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) maple syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Pepper and salt to taste
Note: Drained canned legumes are lower in FODMAPs than dried legumes because the galactans and fructans they contain are water soluble and escape from the seeds.
Tip: You can cook the millet ahead of time so you have cold grains to assemble the salad.
- Place millet and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until grains are tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool in the refrigerator.
- Once millet has cooled, in a large bowl, combine dressing ingredients with a fork.
- Add remaining salad ingredients and toss.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories 373 kcal
Fat 12 g
Carbohydrates 45 g
Fibre 10 g
Protein 16 g
Sodium 206 mg
Can be kept for 3 days in the refrigerator and does not freeze.