Are you constantly preoccupied by your weight, your appearance or by what you eat? Do you feel like food takes too much room in your thoughts and your life? This section could be for you.
Eating disorders can affect people of any age, gender, body type, ethnicity or socio-economic status. They come with intense negative emotions related to food (shame, guilt and feeling of isolation), and can cause serious health problems.
The different disorders our dietitians in eating disorders can help you with include:
Bulimia: Cycles of loss of control over food intake and ingestion of large amounts of food in a short period of time, followed by compensatory behaviors such as induced vomiting, laxatives use, or excessive exercising to avoid weight gain.
Binge Eating Disorder: Episodes of loss of control over food intake, just like in bulimia, but in the absence of any compensatory behaviors, which usually leads to important weight gain.
Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified: Other disordered eating patterns that do not correspond to the diagnosed disorders such as Anorexia, Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder. Two examples include, but are not limited to:
• Orthorexia: Obsession with healthy or clean eating, accompanied by profound guilt or shame when foods perceived as unhealthy are consumed.
• Bigorexia (muscle dysmorphia): Obsession over feelings of being too thin and not having enough muscle mass, which may push people to use food, excessive exercise, or potentially dangerous supplements to increase muscle mass.
This is how our dietitians in eating disorders can help you:
If you recognize yourself in some of the above-mentioned behaviors OR if you are preoccupied by your body image, specific eating patterns or experiencing recurring negative emotions around food, help is available to you at ÉquipeNutrition. Our dietitians in eating disorders can help you;
• Decrease your food compulsions
• Embrace a normal and inclusive eating style
• Reconnect with the pleasures of eating
• Increase your self estime
• Improve your body image
We are a team of registered dietitians-nutritionists members of the OPDQ - Professional Order of Dietitians of Quebec able to help you improve your relationship with food and your body.
Contact us now for more information or to make an appointment.
You can also go read our related articles: